Several years ago, a friend showed me what happens when you put a regular marshmallow in the microwave and zap it -- it inflates to extraordinary proportions, but rarely explodes (my mom had a cow when it did). Once removed, it shrinks down to a hard, flat mound, stuck permanently to whatever you microwaved it on (paper towels, plates, you name it -- don't hold me responsible for anything you ruin).
After Easter a few years ago, my creative genius prompted me to use a leftover peep instead of a common, ordinary, boring marshmallow. Just the same, it became bulbous and disfigured and then cooled into a small mound of hard yellow stuff with eyes and a beak. I am nearly done perfecting the nuke-peep technique.
Here's what you do:
- Spray PAM onto wax paper. Place the wax paper on a plate or whatever.
- Place a peep (any type) on top, following the explicit 4-P's -- PEEP, PAM, PAPER, PLATE!!!
- Place in the microwave.
- Nuke on high power until the peep stops growing (it's dead, dammit).
- Marvel at its size and nondescript nature (oooooh,ahhhhhh).
- Remove and cool, letting it flatten and harden.
- If you're lucky and did everything right, it's still edible; otherwise you just made a handsome paperweight/collectible/conversation piece/fashion accessory.
- Ta da!